Monday, July 1, 2013

Afoot pt. 1

The Bavarian countryside rolls past my window as I fight the urge to mix the z and y keys on my keyboard. For the next six hours my sole forms of internetless entertainment shall be tunes, taking selfies with my iphone, snacking and battering away on my laptop. I suppose I could also opt to snooze (and seeing as I'm still on Farm Time the urge to snooze may arrive here shortly…) but snoozing is for the weak and weak I am not! Today marks my 22nd day of travel, the end of my first three weeks on the road with Petrelli. (Technically I've been with her for just under four weeks, but a few days were spent being an invalid in Graz, struck down by tonsillitis. Rude.) In the past 3 weeks I have been through four separate countries -- yes, I'm counting the 45 minutes in Bosnia -- and stayed the night in seven cities with day trips to several more. LOOK HOW WELL-TRAVELED I AM! There have been many ups and a few downs, one that seemed to plummet to the core of the earth but luckily shot back up before self-destruct mode kicked in. I've kayaked and swam the Adriatic Sea, wandered the lakes of Plitviče, drank Slovenian wine, reminisced in Munich, bonded with goats large and small and seen the Swiss Alps from across Lake Constance (terrible lake name, by the way. Whoever was head of the naming committee should really rethink that one.) 

This has only been the first half of my summer of traveling, the second half kicking off in two weeks when I fly to Auckland, New Zealand. So much more adventure awaits me, yet now I'm having a bit of a lull in which I spend two weeks in Graz to settle accounts, get rid of furniture and move out of my apartment for good. Instead of focusing on the hectic mess that awaits me, let's instead look back on the past three weeks with fondness! FONDNESS I SAY.

The cities/sites visited on this trip were:
- Vienna, Austria
- Zagreb, Croatia
- Split, Croatia
- Some tiny rest-stop in Bosnia
- Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Zadar, Croatia (technically i slept through Zadar: it was hot, I was tired, I didn't miss much. Shhh.)
- Plitviče Lakes in Croatia
- Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Bled, Slovenia
- Munich, Germany
- Salgen, Germany (tiny village where we WWOOFed!)
- Pfaffenhausen, Germany (Slightly larger village 2km away from where we WWOOFed)
- Mindelheim, Germany
- Augsburg, Germany
- Lindau im Bodensee, Germany

Because words probably can't fully paint the perfect picture in your mind to describe all the fun things I've done and seen, I'll be using pictures from this point on to describe my trip. Lucky for me I had two photographers on this trip and from them I will be stealing a few (or all) of their pictures. I suppose I should elaborate on who I was traveling with, eh?

My main companion on this journey was Alissa, bestest chum from Bakersfield and animal expert. We've traveled the globe a few times now, having seen England, Scotland, Canada and South Korea together. Soon we will add Middle Earth! The two supporting members of our cast were Alissa's sister Amanda and her boyfriend Mike. Amanda really likes horses and climbing things and Mike really like vegetables and slowly taking pictures. Luckily these two could legally rent a car in Croatia so they get major points for making the roadtrip portion of the trip possible. Also Mike makes great food. And Amanda laughs at my joke. Or just at me, she does that too. Anyway, FEAST YOUR EYES ON THE DIGITAL EVIDENCE OF MY TRAVELS.

Vienna: In which I took very few photos and ate lots of cake
Stephansdom, Vienna

Inside the Albertina gallery

Vegetarian organic restaurant!

Infamous Hotel Sacher

I stole her iphone for this SWEET SELFIE
I liked the lion

Almost

There was a lot of tea in Vienna

She's ready to party at THE BREAKFAST CLUB

See what I mean?


No comments:

Post a Comment