Tuesday, November 27, 2012

that thing you do.

I've been asked a few times now about the actual teaching aspect of my life. I seem to mention my free time a lot more than my actual real-life work time. I suppose that's how it usually goes, though. It's easier to write about the things that bring me only joy. (like shopping, traveling, eating, drinking, dancing, etc.) Teaching is a tri-faced monster: sometimes its wonderful, delightful and all laughter, sometimes its  just okay, varying from good to not so good in one day but manageable, and other times its long, exhausting, frustrating and not my cup of tea. 

Here's a general layout of my week:
- 13 hours in class (around 18 spent at school)
- 1 day off, varying each week
- ages 14-19, divided into 5 years
- 6 very sweet, female English teachers whose classes I visit
- various themes per lesson (Health, Social Media, Travel, Teen Heartbreak) you name it, and I can make a lesson. GOOGLE IS  MY BEST FRIEND.
- 1st hour begins at 8. 
- 30 minutes to get from my door to school
- lots of time to do whatever I want

Despite generally enjoying myself at school, I honestly don't think I want to have a career in teaching. At least, not at the high school level. At least, not in an Austrian public school. Maybe I could be a cool AP teacher somewhere. Or a hip young professor of German and the history of Comic Drawing. But, you won't see me subbing at Stockdale High School any time soon. I've been working for almost 3 months now, and I know that's nothing compared to most of you reading this, but I've learned or at least observed a lot in this short about of time. Here are some of those things:

- in Austrian schools, the teachers change classrooms and the students, for the most part, stay put. THIS IS AWFUL. The teachers never know where they have to go next (as rooms get swapped on a daily basis) and they have to lug everything with them. And stairs are involved. STAIRS.
- Language teachers are always grading something. And that something always looks really time consuming.
- There is no lunch break. Just one 15 minute break between 3rd and 4th lesson.
- My school is not divided into varying levels of difficulty. All kids take the same English, math, chemistry, art, etc. classes.
-Teenagers really don't need to drink coffee. Ever.
- There is no dress code.
- Teenagers can either have as much energy as a pack of gerbils, or as little as a sack of potatoes. Its always the luck of the draw.

Now, of course there are cool differences in the school system here (kids can specialize in fields they know they're interested in, every graduate of my school can work immediately afterward, their english is better than a college freshman's german, etc.)  but it's just easier to focus on the differences that irk me or don't make sense to me or are just..different.
The teachers at my school really want their kids to do well and be useful members of society and all that. But, so far it seems to me that the input of the teachers doesn't seem equal to the output. It's a taxing job and one that probably doesn't get as much gratitude as it deserves. (I think every teacher I know just mumbled "here here!")

Most of my days are good days, and I've been told by many of my teachers that the kids love me, I did a great lesson, they love listening to me, they're so glad to have me, etc. etc. The praise is wonderful. It makes me feel good about my work and makes me feel like less of a plan-less post-collegiate slacker. Students want to speak English with me (some) or hang out with me or add me on facebook….I get a chorus of hi's in the hallway, or giggles or smiles. It's a really pleasant feeling knowing you're good at what you do, or at least good enough not to totally suck.  And I will probably apply to do this for a second year(!) It's fun, I love the lifestyle it affords me, and I think I can hold most of the student's attention for 50 minutes.

But when that 2nd year is up, I don't know where the wind will take me. I don't want to get a teaching credential, I don't want to get a degree in teaching in Austria…Lord knows what I'll end up doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment