Tuesday, November 13, 2012

ketchup.

I suppose this is the point where I should recap all that's been going on in my cozy little world here in Graz. I'M BEHIND WITH EVERYTHING. Because of this, I'm going to be a lazy sack of potatoes and use bullet points instead of real, fleshed out paragraphs. DEAL WITH IT. First, we need to go back to the beginning. Well, not the real beginning but 2 weeks ago.  (Oh God it's been two weeks already?!)

    ▪    Halloween: because I'm something of a genius, I hosted a Pre-Halloween party for all my pals who didn't have anything better to do on a Tuesday night. I hung jack-o-lantern bunting, placed autumn candles here and there, served candy corn and alcohol, and crammed in about as many people as my apartment can handle. Nearly had the police called on me but NARROWLY AVOIDED THAT HASSLE. only due to noise, and probably an open window. woops. So, people paraded into my home with an assortment of 'stumes (short for costumes, obvi.) We had Wednesday, Pugsley and Gomez Adams, Princess Bubblegum, Don Draper, Katnis, two body suits, two animal onesies, a lumberjack,  Shaggy, some others, and of course myself as a zombie cat princess. After thinning the crowd to about 10, we scampered off to a club and danced the night away to salsa. At one point, some random fellow grabbed me by the arm, posed with me for a photo, then let me go. ..So I'm in some rando's picture. Cool. (I was totes into it.) Naturally didn't go to bed until 6.30 am but, hey, I had the week off. LIVING LARGE, MY FRIENDS! The next night I went to a friend's Halloween party and danced the night away, well, until 1 am because I was snoozy and danced myself home.

    ▪    Then Munich happened.
    ▪    Before I left for Munich, I decided that I was going to take part in NaNoWriMo, which is National Novel Writing Month. It's now an international thing, but whatver. In this month one must write a 50k word novel by the end of November. Now, i happened to be traveling for the 1st four days of this month so needless to say I'M SO BEHIND GOSH.  But! I have nearly 5k written, and so far it has made two people snuffle with laughter when they read it, so I'm doing something right.  I'm not too worried about the deadline, because I haven't really even tried to arrange my life accordingly for this project. (I spent last weekend talking about boys and being drunk in the city so, there went 3 more days of writing!) Here's an excerpt:

    "She had a bad habit of losing track of time, just like now. She'd managed to walk the last 15 without realizing she'd reached her destination. Autopilot was in full swing and even when the familiar scents of grease and mayonnaise drowned her nostrils, she didn't quite register her surroundings. Not until she was confronted with the reality of two things: one, she was caught talking to herself by her "superior" and two, a small boy was licking syrup off the counter. Wren swallowed a sudden buildup of bile and did her best to walk past the child in question without projectile vomiting. Why did people reproduce again? Beside the boy sat a balding, egg-shaped man of roughly 40, who seemed to be chewing his French Toast as if it were a cow's cud.  Clearly the pinnacle of human evolution. Wren wondered how many stomachs he had…She walked past the disillusioned shell of a man that was Mr. Walkins, senior manager of the Jump-N-Jive Diner! (Yes, the "n" was capitalized, and yes, there was an exclamation point.) Both of these facts were speeding the process of Wren's loss of faith in humanity.  And unfortunately this was a process that needed no help. She walked past the grotesquely fascinating father and son pair, past an elderly woman stirring spoonful after spoonful of sugar into her coffee and finally reached a door that read 'Employee's Only.' "

    •    Last Weekend: My friend Teresa, whom I met at orientation, lives in an itty bitty village about 2 hrs away and as it was her birthday today, she came to Graz for the weekend for some pre-birthday fun times! We spent Friday catching up, shopping for snacks, eating pizza and playing story cubes. Don't know what story cubes are? You're missing out. Of course we spent the evening talking about life, the universe and everything. She even gave me sage boy advice. Can never have enough sage boy advice. Saturday was spent eating the food we bought, roaming the streets of Graz and buying presents for ourselves because a) it was her birthday and b) I get paid Thursday! That evening we attended a birthday potluck for our friend Jen, from Scotland. SO MUCH FOOD. Teresa and I made a most successful tamale pie. TAKE THAT AUSTRIAN INGREDIENTS! I plan on making it again. Soon. After feasting and drinking lots of wine, the night went on to include 4 more bars. YEEHAW. Now that's how you turn 22.  Sunday was spent being generally hungover, but happy. We tried to watch the rugby game at a pub in town but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Instead we ate lots of cheap schnitzel. What else are you supposed to do on a Sunday?

And that brings us to now, more or less. I'm currently planning on going to Bratislava, Slovakia this weekend and WAS INVTED TO MAKE PARTY with the younger teachers this Friday. MAKE PARTY YES! I am so pleased! I hope it pans out :D There are some other things I hope pan out but, we shall see. Fingers crossed and all that..

On that cryptic note, TOODLES!

Or, as they say here in Austria: Ciao, Servus, Pfirdi, Baba!
yes, that's one round of goodbye...

No comments:

Post a Comment