Sunday, October 21, 2012

parents, pumpkins and perspective

Perspective is a funny thing.

It's also really hard to draw correctly, like seriously, you keep having to erase, redo, erase, repeat. WHY IS PERSPECTIVE SO HARD?! But I digress…

I now have 6 days worth of perspective from my last bout of rambling and i can vigorously and honestly say that those 6 days have been mighty helpful. Before I was feeling a bit "UGHHUNFFHGUHH HARD WORK" about this teaching thing but now I'm totally like "OKAYYEAH TOTES DOABLE." A lot less grunting now. I'm not making much sense, am I? The point is, one of the lessons that didn't go according to plan on Monday, was much better the next time around, in fact, I've been asked by 2 other teachers to do it for their classes. I'M IMPROVING, GUYS! I'm learning that things won't always work in a classroom, and that it's no big deal. It's no one's fault, the teachers won't hate me, and the students will put up with my novelty.

This past week was incredibly tiring,  fun and fruitful. I've been getting lots of happy feedback from the teachers about the students' general reactions to me. aka THEY LOVE ME. Also, I'm slowly weasling my way into the teachers' hearts as well heh heh heh. Hopefully more baked goods are in my future. So far, my lesson topics have been:
- Introductions
- Health and Fitness, with the help of Michelle Obama and Beyoncé
- T.V.
- American High School
- Teen Problems

I haven't picked these bad boys myself, and i have a feeling they will only get more bizarre as the year goes on…OH WELL. I'm currently working on setting up an English hour somewhere in the city once a week so the kidlets can talk about things they actually want to, not just why Americans are so fat, Romney is an insane loon, and High School Musical…Hopefully I get that straightened out before November :D

This week was both fun and fruitful because, guess who came to town?! MY PARENTS. The mom and pops joined me on the continent for a weekend of eating, walking, shopping, picture taking and more eating. There was a lot of eating involved. We ate a lot of pumpkin. Styria (the province I'm in) freaking loves pumpkin. If Graz could marry any vegetable, it would be the pumpkin. (are pumpkins vegetables or fruits…?) They also really like wild meat here, so of course deer gulash and deer schnitzel were on the menu as well. Mmmm…Though, I could definitely go for a detox right about now…SO MUCH BUTTER. Anyway, took the parents out for food, castle viewing, shopping, sturm drinking, beer drinking, etc. etc. While they were here we more or less planned the upcoming Heinrichs Family Christmas. I'll be flown to Brentwood for the actual festivities, but afterward we're going to GRANADA OH YEAH SPAIN WOO MOORS YEAH AL HAMBRA! I'M SO EXCITED. Eeeeeee! But more on that later.

Although my week didn't actually involve much fruit, it was fruitful in the sense that now my room feels like my room. The giant white walls now have things on them, I bought MOOD LIGHTING and the number of scarves hanging from their hooks tripled. LIFE IS SO GOOD. As you may well know, a Kat Heinrichs room needs mood lighting. (we all remember the Love Lair) So, I will post pictures of my cozy cozy domicile soon…I still need to clean it.

THERE YOU GO. My week in a nutshell. Oh, also, roasted chestnuts are still gross.

THAT IS ALL.

1 comment:

  1. Dude! (: I am glad that you are settling in--it's a beautiful thing when your room feels like "home". I want to come visit soon and check out your crib (mainly see you), if that's chill! (: I ALSO found this on wikipedia: "Pumpkins are monoecious, having both male and female flowers on the same plant." So basically, the question of fruit or veggie is not the question---it's the MARVEL AT HOW SOME PLANT CAN BE BOTH MALE AND FEMALE AT THE SAME TIME HOLY CRAP MY WORLD JUST GOT SPUN UPSIDE DOWN BY A SQUASH. (: I hope that your week this week goes swimmingly! (; (and yup. The kids love you. Because if they don't, that's why they are in school. Because they are not smart.) (:

    ReplyDelete