Saturday, September 8, 2012

graz? graz.

For those of you expecting a shiny post full of self-taken pictures of my new city, apartment and one friend, I must heartily apologize: that's not happening. I think I've taken all of 4 pictures here, 2 of which are of a cat in a garden, 2 of which are a river. EXCITING, NON?! Non. (I thought the cat was pretty exciting, actually.) I'm feeling a smidge overwhelmed by, well, everything, so I don't have the heart to dally on the internet with lots of words. In fact, I should be showering and packing up my hotel room right about now.  Why, you ask? BECAUSE I'M MOVING IN. Yesterday the apartment looky-loo was a success. I was not kidnapped. My money was not stolen. I now have a bed. The apartment is near the city center (5 minute walk to one platz, another 5 minutes to the Rathaus) It's in an old building on the first floor (which is slightly raised because thats how Europe rolls). My room overlooks a garden. The place has character, which means:
  • ceilings are incredibly high (+)
  • there's a creepy window into an inner brick shaft thing of bring and other windows from fellow apartment-goes (-)
  • toilet is in a depressing closet but! separate from shower (-/+)
  • shower is separate from kitchen but technically IN the kitchen (I don't know what to make of this.) washing machine is also in the kitchen, with the shower. there's a door leading to the shower so nbd. I need to invest in a robe...
  • no living room (other roommate who arrives next week will be living in the former living room, now bedroom. its giant. think my portland basement room) but there's a little foyer thing with a coat rack and such. I need a welcome mat.
  • my room is fully furnished. the wardrobe will successfully hold all my crap. my room is sunny but cool. i may be able to fit a loungey chair in it.
So there you go. I'm sure my mother is panicking already. I think with a few decorative additions, the place will be swell. Since I'm moving in before the other girl, I get more say in how the common area looks, muahahaha. I'm going to IKEA today so, GET READY FOR STUFF. Oh, also the kitchen has all sorts of pots, pans, plates and other handy essentials already, woo!  (oh my glob this entry is so boring, sorry!)

I won't be havin' me some regular internet until I either a) buy some for the flat or b) wait for my roommate to do it because setting things up is intimidating SO I'll be pretty quiet for a bit. I'll make good use of free wifi with my tea but, first i need to find a good cafe...

Here's what I'll be doing this week:
  1.  meeting with my landlord and handing over lots of €€€€€
  2. registering my person with the appropriate authorities (such a hassle. isn't just being here enough?)
  3. opening a bank account. or trying to. it's unfortunately contingent upon being registered by that pesky government.
  4. unpacking and seeing if the flat is livable.
  5. figuring out the far too complex process of getting a damn pay as you go phone. what i've learned so far on this matter: Austria, you lose, Germany, you made everything so easy and I miss you.
  6. meeting up with a fellow TA.
  7. roaming aimlessly around my new 'hood.
  8. trying to understand the natives. Austrian is tricky for my earsies.
Th-th-th-that's all folks!

HAHAHAH WHAT HAVE I DONE WHAT AM I DOING HERE AHHHH.

4 comments:

  1. does your wardrobe lead to Narnia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an Alissa comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through another USTA person. I will be in Austria as well, but near Salzburg. I hope you are enjoying Graz! I'm jealous of everyone that is there already.

    I think we have a mutual friend, Devin. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why yes, yes we do have a mutual friend! I have no clue where she'll be (never got back to me on that one)
    Im enjoying the city quite a bit! Not enjoying the bureaucracy or current internetlessness but..the bank teller calling me "meine liebe" definitely got today off on the right foot! Ill make sure to peruse your blog once im more settled! Iphone screens are so pesky...

    ReplyDelete