Sunday, September 29, 2013

new home

I've been in Graz for 1.5 days now and already my room feels like mine.

I have this bordering obsessive tendency to decorate whatever space I inhabit. Immediately. If I see blank walls, my mind will focus on nothing else until they have pictures of cats and travel taped to them. Beds must be made (something which will last about a week), drawers organized, desks arranged, candles lit, fairy lights hung and knick knacks set in their rightful places. I'm fairly certain that I was an interior designer in another life---that, or a hoarder. Who knows.

I arrived at my new abode sometime after 6 pm on Friday and by 7 I was out in the city, tracking down the things I'd stored here over the summer. By 8 pm I successfully lugged two very large suitcases, one backpack, one carry-on suitcase and a laundry basket full of bedding and a large stuffed polar bear up into my room (up two flights of stairs, mind you.) I was beat. After a full day of travel, plus an unplanned 4 hours of uncomfortable airport napping in Frankfurt, I was ready for bed. I didn't care whose bed. Luckily, this one belonged to me. That night I didn't even bother unpacking. I was too tired. My floor was a series of luggage piles and I didn't care.

When I woke up, I cared. After a harrowing trip to IKEA and several failed errands, I was ready to unleash the hounds. I spent Saturday  putting things in their new places, making my room feel less like a level of hell and more like somewhere I wanted to stay. And by the time I met up with friends for a pasta dinner and sturm (essentially alcoholic grape juice, wine that's not yet wine.) my suitcases were stowed and things began to feel less temporary. Today was spent sleeping, watching American TV and decorating. Yesterday was practical. Today was aesthetic. My walls are no longer blank, surfaces no longer empty...I'm all moved in.


Foyer! Right to the kitchen, left to the dining room and my room

Kitchen! Balcony ahead, shower to the right and flatmate's room to the left.

I haven't quite mastered the bath/shower combo yet..

Lil' balcony

Dining area. A REAL ONE!! Right to my room

The night I arrived, two other bags not pictured..

LOOK AT THE STORAGE SPACE

Decorated!

It's real big.

No comments:

Post a Comment